2 Aug 2007

...pray continually... for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus

Prayer has always been an important aspect in our daily walk with the LORD. When we first accept the LORD, the first thing we do is say the sinner’s prayer. Before we go to bed or wake up in the morning, we’ll say a prayer. Before we have a meal, we’ll thank the LORD for our food. There are even ‘methods’ of how we should pray. My pastor (in M’sia) and many other preachers I’m sure have always encouraged the A.C.T.S. pattern of prayer: Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving and Supplication. Due to the fact that I’m not good at explaining stuff and that I’m computer illiterate and therefore don’t know how to add links to the blog, I’ll copy and paste a snippet from google below. I think I need to add that this is not a must-method of prayer. It’s just a structure that we can follow:

Adoration is to adore God, to worship him and to fulfil the commandment to love him with all of our heart, mind and soul. As we spend time in adoration, we praise God for who He is - our Creator, our Sustainer and our Redeemer.
Confession allows us to clear away the things in the relationship between you and God which are displeasing to Him. All of us have sinned. St John writes in his epistle "If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." (I Jn 1:8,9)
Thanksgiving. From childhood we are brought up to say "Thank You" when someone does something for us, or gives us a gift. Each moment God is blessing us, every minute we can recall the wonderful things that God has done for us, and the gifts that we have been given. And so, we need to be constantly thanking God for his blessings. In writing to Timothy, Paul makes it clear that we also need to be giving thanks for everyday, worldly things "I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness." 1 Tim 2:1.
Supplication or Intercession. Finally we come to ask God for our needs and the needs of others.

I know that this is not my turn to put something on the blog, but I just wanted to share some of my thoughts with you all. God hears us in whatever way or situation when we come to Him. He does not ‘need’ our prayer. He is God and already knows what we need or what we want to bring to Him. If this is so, then why do we need to still pray? Or can’t we just pray ‘LORD, you know my thoughts and wants, AMEN’?
This might probably open up more thoughts, ideas… but I believe that prayer is for us. We pray to encourage ourselves, encourage one another and as an act of worship to the LORD. Prayer is our part in the relationship with the LORD. I believe that the LORD made prayer for our benefit when the focus is on Him. It is His will for us to be prayerful. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 says “Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”


Chelsie
P/S: I wanna thank all those who have been keeping me in their prayers esp my prayer buddy Kareeann and my ex-prayer buddy Jasmine and all of you in the connect group who have been my friend. Thanks also to Winnie for dropping by and visiting me just because she thought i acted weird. :) Thanks also to Sarah for all her comical jokes and to Michelle for her hair curler. :) {not sure how to use it yet}. Thanks also to my housemates and Jebbie who have been great laughing buddies to me. {sounds like i won the oscar eh?}
Tis week, am supposed to encourage somebody, so i tot of encouragin ya'll. :) will keep all of you in my prayers...

No comments: