23 Aug 2007

Miracles [by matthew lee]

Hi all,

As you may know, I decided to move over to Sydney, Australia to be closer with Chelsie. It was smooth sailing thus far, but with enough hiccups to prove that God is still in control of everything.

With my limited work experience, it was tough to secure a job in Australia without having an Australian work permit. By God's grace, my ex-colleague was willing to submit my CV to her boss, knowing that the company has had instructions world wide to cut down costs. What does this mean? Well, no hiring foreigners and having to bear the burden of sponsoring their visa... During my last visit to Australia in June 07, I went for an interview with my then prospective employers. The interview went well, almost an hour long. Before it ended, I was asked, "What can I say to assure my employers that I'm not hunting for a job in Australia just to jump again in the near future?". This was a fair enough question, as I had worked for 2 employers within a span of 2 years in Malaysia, both having justifiable reasons for change. I told them "I'm moving to Australia to be closer with my girlfriend", and that was good enough an answer for them.

I had another left week in Adelaide after our trip to Sydney. While in Adelaide, the verbal offer came through! I was fairly surprised as I didn't think I did that well to impress in the interview. I was told that they would still need to get higher management to approve the offer, due to the cost-cutting measures. If all goes well, a letter of offer should arrive in KL the following week.

When I arrived back in KL, the offer letter came a week late, as there were some minor hiccups in getting the approvals. As I made the decision to leave my job in Malaysia to move to Australia, there were still uncertainties then. Will my work visa be approved? Do I have enough finances to survive? What about my family back in Malaysia? As I took the step of faith to be closer to the one I love, God, in his mighty way, took care of my concerns one after the other.

As my visa was delayed due to administrative issues, I would be going in to Australia on a tourist visa. Having purchased a one-way ticket, I was told I may encounter problems at Australian immigration. Having packed 33 kgs of luggage when I was only allowed 20 kgs (and having my appeal for additional allowance rejected), I was prepared to pay for the additional 13 kgs, which would have cost a bomb.

It was truly a miracle that my additional 13 kgs was not charged a single dollar at all! And also, at Australian immigration, I was not asked a single question, despite entering on a tourist visa with a one-way ticket.

Having arrived in Sydney, I had planned to put up in my uncle's place till I managed to get a place of my own to rent. My visa was delayed again and again, each time telling me it would be approved soon. Chelsie and me were worried, but we still believed that God is in control. Thank God, it was approved on 20th of August! Having seen so many units, I managed to shortlist 4 that caught my eye, and submitted applications for rent around the same time. I had to trust God, as out of the 4 that I shortlisted, I had a priority of preference. Deep inside of me, I felt like God was testing me, seeing if I still place my trust in him. My 4th preference was the first to respond, asking me to decide on the spot. I turned it down, thinking that I have 3 more options. After I had rejected my 4th choice, the 2nd choice called to say that I was rejected, as the owner preferred a female tenant. This made me down a little, as the 2nd choice was a very nice unit, though the priciest of the 4. Then my 3rd preference called and wanted a decision by the end of the day. My 1st choice told me they could only respond the following day. I really felt that God was telling me to trust him, as I had done for my whole journey thus far. I picked up the phone, and told the real estate agent for my 3rd choice that I am waiting for another offer, and that he is free to rent the unit to others if possible. In other words, I'm saying no to my 3rd choice. With only my 1st choice left, and having started work, I was desperate, but comforted myself that God will take care of me. True enough, I managed to get my 1st choice, and will be moving in on the 25th of August!

God is a God of wonders, as His ways are much higher than ours.

I leave you with the passage from Proverbs 3:4-5

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.

Regards,
Matthew
=)

No comments: